On September 21, 2013, TEDxOjai will stream talks and events from the main TEDCity2.0 event in New York City as well as feature live, inspiring speakers from our local community.
The event will take place at the OYES Theater in downtown Ojai at 316 E. Matilija St., Ojai, CA 93023 from 9a.m. to 5p.m.
The streamed talks will surface stories of urban ingenuity and interdependence from across the globe, and feature an unexpected mix of over 20 speakers including 2012’s City 2.0 Award winners.
The live TEDxOjai speakers will present innovative ideas to improve our local experience in Ojai and in surrounding communities. Together we will envision the city of our future and share big ideas about sustainable solutions and collaborative action.
The event includes complimentary food and drink and promises to provide a fun, interactive atmosphere. We look forward to having you join us for this special occasion!
Registration and Complimentary Breakfast: 8:30 – 9:15 a.m.
Complimentary Breakfast, Coffee/Tea and pastries provided by COFFEE CONNECTION
Reimagining the City: 9:30 – 11:00 am
Hosted by John Cary
- Visionary architect Chris Downey, who lost his sight and gained new ways of seeing the world
- Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan is putting pedestrians at the forefront of transportation policy in New York City
- Robin Nagle, an anthropologist in residence at the NYC dept of sanitation, talks trash
- Street performers John Pita and Avi Snow of City of the Sun are flamenco/blues/indie rockers
- Place maker Toni Griffin, an urban planner working to make cities more just
- Housing advocate Shaun Donovan, the U.S. Secretary of Housing & Urban Development
- Sustainability guru Lance Hosey, who’s on a mission to make green design beautiful
11:00 – 11:30 Coffee Break Sponsored by COFFEE CONNECTION
Reinventing the Urban Experience: 11:30 – 12:30pm
Hosted by Courtney Martin
- Walkability advocate Jeff Speck, who fights against suburban sprawl and bad urban policy
- Aural artist Jason Sweeney, reinventing the urban experience through a crowd-sourced public art project
- Civic technologist Catherine Bracy is scaling “Code for America” internationally
- Radical professor Dennis Dalton, an Ivy Leaguer with a thing for street philosophers
12:30 – 2:00 Lunch break (plenty of local restaurants to choose from within walking distance)
LOCAL LIVE SPEAKERS
Reigniting the Sharing Economy: 2:00 – 3:15pm
Hosted by Danette Wallace
- Biologist, Michelle Dohrn, who is leading the way on creating a sustainable food co-op for Ojai and the surrounding area
- Social Change Agent, Jason Brock, is devising a way for our community to exchange services without exchanging money
- Ring Flyer and Flow Artist, Christopher Filkins, will show how we can make our communities better and more inclusive through play
- Ojai Noble Peace Prize Organizer, Evan Austin, will announce this year’s Noble Peace Prize winner
3:15 – 4:00 Body Break and Open Discussion on Action Items
Redesigning Reality: 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Hosted by Danette Wallace
- Enthusiast, Scotty Ramirez, believes we can transform city design with a game
- Futurist and RBE Activist, Michael Jordet, will show how we can take a quantum leap in transportation
- Technologist, Morris May, will share his Augmented realty apps and his vision of what living in city 2.0 with Augmented Realty would be like
- Yarn Bomber Extraordinaire, Ping Pong Pattie, gives us the inside scoop on what motivates her to adorn ordinary objects with unordinary flair